1. In the state of Virginia, a woman must have _______ prior to having an abortion.
A woman must have an ultrasound and have the opportunity to view the images prior to having an abortion.
2. In the state of Virginia, a physician may not perform an abortion until at least 48 hours after the woman is provided with in-person counseling, the gestational age of her unborn child, and the descriptions of available assistance and benefits as alternatives to abortion.
A physician may not perform an abortion until at least 24 hours after the woman is provided with these services and information.
3. In the state of Virginia, a ______-trimester abortion may not be performed unless the attending physician and two other physicians certify in writing that continuation of the pregnancy is likely to result in the woman’s death or would “substantially and irremediably impair” the woman’s physical or mental health.
A third-trimester abortion may not be performed unless the attending physician and two other physicians certify in writing that continuation of the pregnancy is likely to result in the woman’s death or would “substantially and irremediably impair” the woman’s physical or mental health. Further, measures for life support for the unborn child “must be available and utilized if there is any clearly visible evidence of viability.” Americans United for Life (2019). Defending Life: From Conception to Natural Death. 272-277. Retrieved from https://aul.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Defending-Life-2019.pdf
4. There was a(n) ________ in the number of abortion centers open between 2017 and 2018?
Decrease. At the end of 2018, 697 abortion centers remained open in America compared to the 704 at the end of 2017. Sullenger, C. (2019, Jan 07). Abortion facility numbers continue to decrease in 2018 according to new survey. Operation Rescue. Retrieved from https://www.operationrescue.org/archives/abortion-facility-numbers-continue-to-decrease-in-2018-according-to-new-survey/
5. True or False: Medication abortions are on the rise since 2001.
They have increased from 6% of all non-hospital abortions to 31% in 2014.
6. The average gestational age at the time of an abortion has shifted to earlier or later in the first trimester?
Earlier in the first trimester. Experts anticipate that this trend is due to the increased availability of medication abortions.
7. In 2014, the median charge of a surgical abortion at 10 weeks was:
The median charge for surgical abortion at 10 weeks was $508. The median charge for early medication abortion at 10 weeks was $535. The median charge for an abortion at 20 weeks was $1,195.
8. True or False: 24% of women who had abortions in 2014 had already had at least 1 prior birth.
59% of women who had abortions in 2014 had already had at least 1 prior birth.
9. Who is the most influential in a women’s abortion decision, according to 38% of women?
38% of women indicate that the father of the baby was most influential in their abortion decision. CareNet (2018). Facts on abortion. Retrieved from https://affiliates.care-net.org/Portals/0/Statistics/FactsOnAbortion2018%20FINAL.pdf?ver=2018-05-18-143029-697
10. True or False: Women can currently buy mifepristone-misoprostol kits (medication abortion drugs) online from an organization called Aid Access.
True. In an article from October 2018, the founder of the organization estimated having sent 600 “self-managed” abortion kits to the US since April. Lussenhop, J. (2018, October 28). The women looking outside the law for abortions. BBC News. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45970356
11. How many pregnancy centers exist in the state of Virginia?
12. True or False: Centers in the Commonwealth of Virginia provided $2.9 million in free services to Virginia families in 2017.
13. About ______________ amount of hours were volunteered in pregnancy centers across Virginia in 2017.
Over 1,100 volunteers, including over 80 licensed medical professionals, served at local pregnancy centers in Virginia. They donated 68,000 volunteer hours to support and empower families.
Share your Results: